Cleaning grout is a challenging task. Various places in homes like kitchen floors, bathroom floors, tile on walls, foyers and so on are prone to build up of grime making them difficult to maintain. Grout must be maintained regularly with typically good old fashioned elbow grease for them to maintain their great look. Household traffic, spills, mold & mildew in bathrooms and food stains are responsible for making the grout dirty. You probably must be having a wide array of cleaning products for all sorts of cleaning jobs in your home. What you may not know is that you can toss most of them out and use natural products such as baking soda to get the job done. This can actually get your grout between your tile cleaner and is much safer to use than any grout cleaner on the market. In order to clean grout naturally, you must have an old toothbrush and baking soda. The bristles of the toothbrush must be old so that it can reach places and loosen the grime. It’s amazing to see how effective an old toothbrush can be. You can even mix the baking soda with a bit of water to make a smooth paste and apply it on the grout. Allow it to sit on the grout for about ten minutes. Baking soda paste is safe chemical for you to use because it doesn’t have any harmful odors or toxins that you will find with other cleaners. Not only will it get your grout white, it is also a much safer alternate to bleach which could actually harm the grout. It is much easier than you think to clean grout in between your tiles when you use a product like baking soda. Baking soda has been around for over hundred years and will remove stains and help whiten surfaces and can be effectively used for cleaning almost anything including grout between tiles. There are many circumstances which lead to odors, staining, and aid in the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew. There are few reasons which make grout cleaning a difficult task, but by using a cleaner that doesn’t float contaminates to the surface the job will be easier. Also, by using a cleaner that contains detergents that settle into the grout with dirt and oils the job will become easier. One thing that makes grout difficult to clean is that sealers might have been improperly used in the past. Instead of keeping out dirt and oils, these might be trapped in the grout. Also, acidic or high pH cleaners make grout more porous and fragile it results in faster grout re-soils and cleaners used in the past might have left some residues that now have become dirt magnets.
There are a lot of new and innovative equipment available which cleans grout faster. High-pressure water systems can effectively deep clean, loosen, and remove soil. Some systems are also responsible for heating water, which aids in the cleaning process. Grout cleaning systems have inbuilt auto-feed/auto-dump capabilities which can continuously work without stopping. The machines pick up the loosened soil and leave no residue. Another option of cylindrical brush technology is also available. These machines do not use pads like the rotary buffers, but instead use rotating brushes that penetrate and loosen the dirt in grout and tile and cleans the grout.
Cleaning grout is a very big priority for businesses and homeowners. Dirt can be easily trapped inside grout even with a sealer. There are many chemicals and tools on the market available which can clean grout. Truly the best way to continually maintain and get terrible grout clean is with the use of a steam cleaner. Following some simple steps on a set schedule and make a big difference in a continuous clean look verse a difficult expensive problem and you will know how to clean grout in an easy way:
- Before starting to clean the grout it is important to analyze what dirt and contaminants you’re dealing with. Then based on that information, select the cleaner designed for cleaning that type of soil and is suitable for the flooring being cleaned.
- Cleaning the grout with some steam may be a new concept for you, so it is always good to get a better understanding of how it works, along with the cleaning supplies involved. Steam comes in different forms. The steam produced by the steam cleaner is very different to what we could call ‘everyday’ steam because it has very low moisture content. When it is released, dry steam vapor has more volume.
- Now we have to add a liter of water heated under pressure which will produce very large amounts of dry vapor steam. Since dry vapor steam has smaller molecules than water vapors, they can penetrate to a much larger extent and give you a much deeper clean.
For those individuals who don’t own a steam cleaner or steam mop use these following 5 steps and you will know how to clean grout easily:
1. First of all prepare you a solution which contains Water, vinegar and baking soda mixed together in a paste form which is a great natural way to treat your tile.
2. Apply the created paste to your grouted tile area and let it rest for a minimum of 5 minutes.
3. Now take a grout brush which is slightly bigger than a toothbrush or a scrub brush and start scrubbing the area with warm water.
4. Before drying of the tiles, make sure to wipe up the dirt with a nice clean wash cloth.
5. Now use a flat floor mop to mop the area with hot water again to extract left over dirt and grime.
Repeat the above steps if necessary
These five steps will assist you in maintaining your floors. Regular maintenance can prevent you from replacing your tile. Grout specialists also have some powerful commercial products and machines which can treat the dirtier floors. For individuals who have a lot of hardwood and tile floors can use a canister steam cleaner which can extract more dirt than any other mop. Heat is one of the most natural powerful cleaner and a good steam machine can make your work much easier. Now you know how to clean grout.